|Three bean stew with garbanzo, kidney and pinto beans|
1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
1 cup diced green and/or red bell pepper
1/2 cup water or vegetable stock
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 (14 oz can) diced tomatoes or 3 fresh tomatoes
1 (4 oz can) diced green chilies
1 cup frozen corn
3 (14 oz. cans) beans: black, chickpeas, kidney, pinto beans drained and rinsed
(a total of about 4 1/2 cups cooked beans)
1. In large skillet, saute onion and bell pepper in 1/2 cup of water or stock
until onions are tender (about 10 min.) adding a tablespoon or two of water
and/or covering pan to keep onions from sticking to pan.
2. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano
(and a little more water if necessary) and cook one minute longer.
3. Stir in tomatoes and remaining ingredients, cook until heated through,
about 10 minutes.
Options: 1. Saute a chopped carrot and a sliced celery stalk along with the onions.
2. For a spicier stew add 1 to 2 cups of salsa along with diced tomatoes.
3. Add a cup of green peas during last 5 minutes of cooking.
4. To make chili, use a 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes instead of the
|Three bean stew with black, garbanzo, pinto beans, salsa and green peas|
|Three bean stew with black, garbanzo and kidney beans|
Serving suggestions: Spoon the stew on top of cooked rice or potatoes.
Serve chili with cornbread.