Thursday, June 8, 2017

What I Eat in a Day as a Vegan

So far I've been vegan for 3 1/2 years. Besides meat, dairy and eggs, I also avoid processed foods, especially vegetable oils. It only took my taste buds a few weeks to adjust to this way of eating, also known as a whole-food plant-based diet. I wish I had made the change a lot sooner. I love the food and I feel so much better.

Actually, I feel stronger and healthier than ever before. Watching the documentary, Forks Over Knives in October 2013 changed my life. ForksOverKnives.com introduced me to science-based nutrition and to the work of plant-based physicians such as Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Michael Greger, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Dr. Neil Barnard, and Dr. Pamela Popper.

Following the principles of calorie density, I eat when hungry and stop when satisfied, enjoying all kinds of fruits, vegetables and starches and a small amount of nuts and seeds.

Pictured below is what a typical day of eating looks like for me. I don't usually count calories or measure portions, but I plugged my food into Cron-O-Meter.com for the day to check the nutrients. I ate 2400 calories, 80% from carbs, 10% protein and 10% fat. My food supplied ample vitamins, minerals and nutrients including protein, calcium, iron and zinc plus a lot of fiber. I took a vitamin B-12 supplement got vitamin D from sunlight.


Breakfast: cooked vegetables, oatmeal with ground flax seeds, fruit

Lunch: 8 cups of salad with walnut vinaigrette dressing, beans, potatoes or rice

Dinner: beans and rice or corn with fresh salsa, cooked vegetables

Snacks: fruit or potatoes

Dessert: fruit

I've lost 50 pounds on this diet. Even though I have reached my goal weight, I still plan to always keep it vegan and without oil.

158 pounds                                108 pounds
The whole-food plant-based diet is the only diet scientifically proven to prevent and reverse heart disease, Many people have also reversed type-2 diabetes, cancer, auto-immune diseases and arthritis through plant-based nutrition. Understanding the connection between what I eat and how I feel motivates me to make food prep a priority.

Besides health, there are other reasons that I favor a plant-based diet. We vote with money and I don't want to support factory farming, a cruel industry. Plus, animal agriculture is destructive to the environment, producing more global greenhouse emissions than all modes of transportation combined. Eating plants is a win-win-win for humans, animals and the planet.

I hope that by sharing my experiences I can encourage others to enjoy more fruits and vegetables each day.

No comments:

Popular Posts